Saturday, February 7, 2015

Meal Planning

Random thoughts spilled out onto blog...

I don't usually have breakfast.  I know I know breakfast is the most important meal to kick start your day.  Usually, I roll out of bed last minute to get ready for work and don't have time to eat breakfast.  So essentially I'm saving money on a meal?!  Breakfast doesn't always have to be expensive but it does add up over time with even the simplest cereal and milk or toast.

Note to self:  I really should wake up 30-45 mins to prepare myself for work rather than 15 mins and take the time to eat breakfast instead of starving myself before lunch time.  I always feel a bit flustered in the mornings as I don't like to be late for work (Ms Punctuality here).  My fiance slows me down in the mornings and I get grumpy at him as we carpool in the mornings.

Lunch is my start to the day.  I spend a good 5/7 days at work.  This past week, I was good.  I didn't go out to buy lunch at all versus previous week where I did almost everyday to the tune of $16.38.  It really depends on meal preparation. 
If I make more for dinner then I'd have leftovers for lunch.  I cook for my fiance and I just enough usually for dinner.  Simple meat and veggies with rice..  If its pasta or casserole, then we usually have leftovers for lunch next day.  I should make bigger portions so we can bring more leftovers for next day lunches more often than not.

The key to saving is to make your own lunches instead of going out to eat!  Buy a loaf of bread and lunch meat... of course cheese/veggies is a great filler as well to make your own sandwiches.  If you find that too boring, switch it up with English muffin, bagel or wrap!

Bring fruits and yogurt for healthy snacks.  It is all about choices.  Am I going to stop buying lunches and brown bag it from now on?  Hells no, its all about balance.  I am not going to deprive myself if I have the money to do so.  I like going out to eat!  Life is about living a little too right? 

Some people are so strict with their budget that they rather sit at home alone in the dark than going out and having fun. All to save a few bucks?  Know when to spend and when not to.  Find that balance.

Do you go out for lunches or do you bring your own lunchesOr is it a combination?

2 comments:

  1. Me personally - there are not many places to eat at around work. The few like - McDonalds, Wendys and Tim Hortons get tiring after awhile. Lately i have been trying more and more to bring my lunch from home. I notice that i save a considerable amount at the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure, it does get tiring after a while. If I had MCD and Wendy's, I'd be there all the time. I have Subway, Fresh Slice & Tim Hortons... a few mom and pop restos. I don't like eating the same thing day in day out... so I switch them out. Making your own lunch will definitely save your bottom line down the road.

      Delete